Annual Veterans Memorial Bridge & Subway Station Tour Returns on Saturday, August 19th
Jeane’ Holley: (216) 698-2544 or email@example.com
The Cuyahoga County Department of Public Works announces the return of the annual Veterans Memorial Bridge and Subway Station tour, Saturday, August 19th, 2017. This free, self-guided tour will allow visitors to experience the original streetcar station and tracks, unique views of the Cuyahoga River, Lake Erie and downtown Cleveland, and films. Gates open at 10:00 a.m. and the event ends at 6:00 p.m. No Reservations are required.
This is the first tour since 2013 when the lower level of the bridge was closed for rehabilitation construction by the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT). In 2013, over 2,000 people ventured out to take part in this unique and interesting experience. The County is honored to re-open the gates and share this unique piece of history with visitors throughout the country.
The main entrance for the Veterans Memorial Bridge and Subway Station tour is at the Department of Public Works Garage, 2433 Superior Viaduct, at the northeast corner of the West 25th Street and Detroit Avenue intersections. Volunteers will be on-site to assist visitors on the day of the tour. Cameras are encouraged for this event.
In 1918, the Veterans Memorial Bridge was celebrated as the world’s largest double-deck, reinforced concrete structure, and was also listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. The Veteran’s Memorial Bridge is 96 ft. tall and 3,112 ft. long, connecting Detroit and Superior Avenues over the Cuyahoga River Valley in downtown Cleveland. The Subway served as a major hub for commuter transportation until the discontinuation of streetcar service on January 24, 1954.
This year, the Veterans Memorial Bridge & Subway Tour is a part of SPARX City Hop, presented by Downtown Cleveland Alliance. The Veteran’s Memorial Bridge & Subway Tour is on the Green Line (Ohio City).
For questions prior to the tour, please visit http://publicworks.cuyahogacounty.us/en-US/subway-bridge-tour.aspx or contact the Department of Public Works, (216) 348-3824, Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. On the day of the tour, please contact 216-348-3900/3901.
Visitors of the Veteran’s Memorial Bridge & Subway Tour must complete a release form prior to entering the bridge. Print and complete the release now to save time. Printable release form. Release forms will be available onsite as well.
Please be mindful that there is no parking available at the site of the tour due to construction taking place in Ohio City. There is limited street parking available but we suggest the following for your visit to the Veteran’s Memorial Bridge and Subway Station:
- Drop Off Zone (2433 Superior Viaduct, Cleveland, OH 44113) - The drop off zone will be located outside of the entrance to the bridge tour. No parking and/or leaving vehicle unattended. Unattended vehicles will be towed.
- Handicapped Parking (2433 Superior Viaduct, Cleveland, OH 44113)
- A minimum number of handicap accessible parking spaces will be available with valid placards.
- SPARX City Hop Trolley - The Veteran’s Memorial Bridge and Subway Station Tour is on the Green Line/Ohio City. For a complete list of Trolley lines and stops, visit http://www.downtowncleveland.com/events/sparx-city-hop
- Regional Transit Authority (RTA) - For a list of bus/rapid routes and schedules, visit http://www.riderta.com/
- UH Bikes - In conjunction with the Veteran’s Memorial Bridge an Subway Tour, UH Bikes is allowing bike users to ride the bikes to the bridge and lock them there without incurring out-of-hub fees. For additional information on how to become a member or find a UH Bike, visit http://uhbikes.com/
- Car pool - If you are able to car pool, please do
- Street parking - Street parking is available, but may be limited due to construction
- Flats East Bank ($) - Cost associated with parking
- Nautica Entertainment Complex Parking (2200 Elm St., Cleveland, OH 44113) ($ - cash only) - Cost associated with parking